The new clubhouse was opened in style on Saturday 25th November in style with our annual club dinner and awards presentation.
In recognition of the efforts by Damian Hamilton toward the construction of the clubhouse it has been christened “Hamilton House” in his honor. Damian was a driving force in the inception, planning, project management and construction of the clubhouse over a period of several years and he was thanked by our president, Mick Webster, during the dedication. Many others that also but in a large amount of work construction the clubhouse were also thanked including, Ian Boggard, Brian Giersch & Paul Dickson to name a few.
A large part of the funding for the clubhouse has come from Coal & Allied at the Hunter Valley Operations mine and the clubhouse was officially opened by the mine General Manager, Tom Lukeman. Also representing HVO at the dinner were Tom’s partner, Sarah, the Technical Services & Planning Manager, Brendan O’Brien & his partner Kerrie and the Land & Property Manager, Jennifer Anderson.
After the official opening and champagne to celebrate the members & guests moved into the brand new clubhouse where a fantastic meal was served by the caterers, Mottys Far Cuisine. During the dinner the awards were presented for the 2011/2012 flying season which were;
- Outstanding Flying Improvement - James Mahoney & Jamie Antonuccio
- Best OLC Flight from Warkworth - David Pickles with a flight of 477km at 89.8km/hr
- Most OLC km’s from Warkworth - Mick Webster with 8,754km flown
- Most Improved Cross Country Pilot - Mark Rowe
- HVGC Artist Award - Brian Giersch for his flight trace of a starfish on
- Outlanding Award - Andrew Sutton for his landing on the mine haul road at Mt Arthur North
- Best Chef Award - Aa Li Webster for continuing to feed the club members and visitors
After the awards & dessert the celebrations continued late on into the night with grand tales being told of past epic flights with booming thermals at every turn and cloud streets to the horizon in every direction. As the evening turned into the next morning the talk turned to the future flights that are going to be flown from Warkworth that would be even more epic than the old ones!
There are lots more photos of the event in the website photo gallery under the album People & Events. Click on the link to open the Clubhouse Opening Album.