Sunday 26th June was a stable blue day with a 20 knot westerly and there wasn’t a lot of enthusiasm to launch. I was just as well that we did as there was weak wave to 7,000′ about 6km west of the airstrip. It was only 1kt of lift that hardly made the vario squawk but it was going up! The band of lift was less than 1km deep and only about 6-8km wide but it was nice & smooth and a fun way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon drifting back & forth.
There was also another band of lift further west over Jerry Plains.
I am pleased to report that on 25th May, we received the approval to our Development Application. While this is a step forward, this does not mean we could begin construction. On Friday 17th June, we received the Construction Certificate, which is the document we needed to move forward with construction. This has certain restrictions in that we have not yet received approval for the bunkhouse, since there is still one aspect of the design which is unresolved, however we can begin work on the clubhouse and the amenities. Weather permitting we will begin earthworks on the weekend of 2-3 July and the slab for the shed will follow shortly thereafter. With any luck the shed for the clubhouse should be up by the end of July or early August. If any member would like to review these documents, please drop me an email with you request and next time you are at the club. Please note; for OH&S reasons, once construction begins, no one (including members) will be permited the enter the construction area unless you are directly involved in the construction. There will be occasions during the construction where Ian, Brian or myself will be calling on members to help out.
The weather forecast for Saturday the 4th didn’t look too promising. Cold, stable air with 20-knot winds means no thermals. There were lots of lenticulars in the sky, looking like a fleet of invading Martians. But the lennies looked too high and too far away to reach.
Well! There was wave, reachable from a 5000ft launch. The conditions were smooth on tow until about 4800 where it went really smooth. The vario indicated a bit more up, indicating time to get off. It wasn’t very strong - the purple patch was only 2knots - but good enough to keep the Puchacz up for 2 hours.
Check out the OLC (link on right) for the results. Damian and Brad actually got a scorable flight, doing just over 50km.